Scholarship Garden Plant Sale
February 15, 2020
8:30a - 1p
Family Garden Club
1852 Whispering Pines Circle
Our upcoming scholarship plant sale will be held on Saturday, February 15 at Paul’s Garden located at 1852 Whispering Pines Circle in Englewood. The sale hours are from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm. This street is located off Englewood Road (highway 776) just next to the Lemon Bay Plaza (with the Big Lots store) and across from Englewood Isles. Signs will be on the road indicating where to turn.
When I asked our Master Gardener, Jim Chandler, he provided much information about the plants available for the upcoming sale. Some of our inventory of plants for the February sale include, but certainly are not limited to the following:
- A good selection of the ever-popular Brazilian Red Cloak, which produces a pyramid shaped red blossom (many) about 12 inches tall with a reddish color. They will get tall, so keep your loppers close. They respond to pruning by even more growth.
- There are several varieties of Copper Leaf. One of our varieties is a multi-colored red. Some people call it Jacob’s Coat because of the many colors in the leaves.
- Variegated Hibiscus gets it name from the various colors in it leaves, red, green, white, etc. It does have a smaller inconsequential red blossom
- A very colorful plant for sale is the Croton. Several different colors can be found at the sale, including “Gold Dust”, “Stop Light” (red, green yellow of course), and another called Petra which has many colors in its leaf.
- There are a few Sea Grapes, which will go early.
- Now is a good time to start your tomato seeds. One member recently brought in several cherry tomato plants three feet or so tall with tomatoes already growing.
- Mature Turk’s Cap in bloom as it is almost year-round in larger pots will be for sale.
- In addition, there are some Red Fire Spike, smaller Bromeliads, Cordylines (both Fruiticosa & Three Sisters).
Our plants are always locally grown, many in members back yards, so they are fully acclimatized to our weather conditions and growing requirement. Most of our members are experienced gardeners and will be happy to answer any questions you might have. At the sale, if you have questions, please ask one of our knowledgeable members who will surely have the answer.
Proceeds from the plant sale will go to the Lemon Bay High School Scholarship Fund. In May 2019 we awarded two $1,000.00 scholarships at the awards ceremony. At the past twelve awards ceremonies the club has donated $25,000 by way of your purchases and generosity. We plan to hold several plant sales throughout 2020. Please check our website for the future dates as they are planned.
What: Family Garden Club of Englewood Garden Plant Sale
When: Saturday, February 15 from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm
Where: 1852 Whispering Pines Circle, Englewood, FL
Additional Information: Visit the website at www.fgcefl.com